YWCA Olympia Advocacy Priorities:
YWCA of Olympia Advocacy Agenda:
YWCA Olympia is on a mission to eliminate racism and sexism to advance the political, social and economic status of all women and girls. Therefore, we advocate for:
- economic mobility and economic stability for all women;
- freedom from racism and sexism; and
- opportunities that allow all women and girls to reach their full potential.
Highlighted bills we are watching:
2017 Washington State :
- Enact WA HB 1116 & WA SB 5032 (Paid Family & Medical Leave Insurance);
- Pass WA HB 1474 (Healthy Starts Act - Formerly Pregnant Workers Fairness Act);
- Pass SB 5140 (Equal Pay & Opportunities), HB 1506 (Gender Pay Equity), HB 1533 (Wage & Salary Safety);
- Defeat WA HB 1011 (Allowing the use of gender-segregated facilities);
- Pass WA HB 1265 & WA SB 5093 (Exempting feminine hygiene product from retail sales and use tax);
- Pass WA HB 1000 & WA SB 5000 (Addressing use of deadly force by public officer or peace officer);
- Pass WA SB 5020 (Concerning certain state ethnic and cultural diversity commissions).
2017 Federal Priorities: YWCA USA 2017 Policy Priorities
Meetings: Our Advocacy Committee usually meets on the second Monday of the month and is open to the public. Our next meeting will be held on Monday, September 11 @ 5:30 (Held at the YWCA of Olympia, 220 Union Ave SE, Oly).
Some Sites We Follow on Social Media:
To learn more or to join the Advocacy Committee:
Contact: Leatta Dahlhoff, YWCA of Olympia Advocacy Chair and/or
Cherie Reeves Sperr, YWCA of Olympia Community Engagement & Development Director at firstname.lastname@example.org